Monday, October 6, 2008

READ: Peter Camenzind By Herman Hesse


Thanks Alex Boeckl.

"The unlimited spaciousness of the horizon affected me as deeply. Once again, as in childhood, I beheld the soft blue of immeasurable distances beckoning to me like an open gate. And the feeling swept over me that I was not born for a normal life at home among my people or in cities and houses, but my fate was to wander through foreign regions and make odysseys on the sea. Darkly, the old melancholy longing rose up in me to throw myself on God's mercy and merge my own pitifully insignificant life with the infinite and timeless."

"Wise and frugal, life remained silent, however, and let me drift. It sent me neither storms nor stars but waited so that I would become aware of my insignificance again and in patience lose my obstinacy. It let me perform my little comedy of pride and knowledge, ignoring this as it waited for the lost child to find his way back to his mother."

5 compromises:

R.A. said...

He looks like John Lennon.

hannahwiitala said...

Austin, It's Hannah from Jpusa! We miss you terribly. Come visit us on your bus adventures!
By the way when I read the title of this post at first glance I thought it said "Peter Caramelized by Herman Hesse"

xo
Hannah

a.e. nee said...

beautiful!

Anonymous said...

my first class was canceled, so i've been creeping on the internet. i had written justin asking him to tell you that i missed you whenever he spoke to you, but then i remembered you had this. have you ever read siddarthda by herman hesse?? it's good. i wrote down a few quotes when i read it, but one i remember is: "it is because of all your seeking that you cannot find."

love you. hope you're discovering new things and having an amazing journey. call me/write me when you get a chance.

Anonymous said...

Austin it's katie wassil...well, Katie sorrell ! I just googled your butt and this blog thing came up. Please get in touch with me I don't know how to find you other than this thing...katiemichaelskitchen@yahoo.com

email me your number and address please! <3