Saturday, May 10, 2008

Top Ten Movies Featuring People With "Disabilities"

I have an extremely soft place in my heart for anyone with some sort of noticeable "disability." I still have this vivid memory of a man with Down Syndrome falling off his bike one day because he accidentally ran over my friend's skateboard. To this day, I'm not sure exactly why it effects me so much. I think I'm either supposed to start volunteering at a local home or eventually I'm going to have my own child who is "handicap" in some way. For now I'll just watch these movies and think about how retarded we all are!

10. Music Within
I've only seen the trailer for this movie and it looks terribly cheesy, but it brings a tear to my eye and that's good enough for me.




9. The Heart Is A Lonely Hunter
I haven't seen this movie either, but i want to for the following reasons:
1. I've been entrigued by it ever since I saw the book (of the same title) by Carson McCullers.
2. It's one of the only good songs by the band The Anniversary.
3. The film version stars Alan Arkin.


(I couldn't find a good clip of the film or a good version of the song, so here is a painful video for another pretty fun song by The Anniversary).


8. Even Dwarfs Started Small (Werner Herzog)
This movie will force you to ponder three questions:
1. What the fuck?
2. No, seriously, what the fuck is going on?
3. Why are Germans the most fucked up people on the planet?




7. Benny & Joon
What can I say, I'm a romantic. AAAAAND... I'd fall in love with a mentally ill Mary Stuart Masterson any day!




6. What's Eating Gilbert Grape?
Because DiCaps is a shredder... duh!

Trailer HERE.


5. The Station Agent
Peter Dinklage is probably my favorite actor. It doesn't hurt that Michelle Williams is super cute.




4. I Am Sam
If this movie doesn't make you cry from laughter and heartache then you are a shell of a human being.




3. The Other Sister
"So let's see here, we'll cast Juliette Lewis to play the mentally retarded girl and then Giovanni Ribisi can be the mentally retarded boy... they'll both fall retardly in love and we'll be geniuses for making it happen."

\
(No two people in real life will ever be able to top this wedding ceremony.)


2. My Left Foot
Based on the true story (autobiography) of Christy Brown, an Irish artist born with Cerebral Palsy (rendering his hands and most motor skills useless). DDL destroys this role and I'm majorly in love with his mum.




1. Sling Blade (BB Thornton)
John Ritter as a gay man is incredible. Dwight Yoakam kills it as the abusive step dad. And Billy Bob Thornton gives the greatest performance of "retardation" of all time! Any questions?


(Oh and Jim Jarmusch kills it too!)

0 compromises: