Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Top 10 Old Grey Whistle Test Performances

Old Grey Whistle Test (OGWT) was a British music show that ran from 1971 to 1987. In complete contrast to Top Of The Pops (TOTP), Old Grey (Old Gregg!) featured bands actually playing their songs, often times songs that weren't necessarily hits. This list is a response to My Top 10 Top Of The Pop Performances.

10. Edgar Winter Group / Frankenstein


I'm not huge on instrumental tracks, but the albino giant kills the keys, sax, drums, etc for 9 minutes. Edgar Winter reminds me of that one crazy blonde terrorist from Die Hard 1.


9. Nina Hagen


The female version of Klaus Naomi, except spawned from Hell instead of Outer Space. Nina Hagen reminds of The Smurfs and Mad Madame Mim from Disney's Sword In The Stone. (The original video from OGWT is no longer available, so I posted this one of her on the Merv Griffin Show with Don Rickles... if you can make it through, kudos to you).


8. Roxy Music / Do The Strand


Skip ahead to 1:20 to hear Ferry and Eno kick it out. Roxy Music remind me of Jon Kraft.


7. Cheap Trick / I Want You To Want Me


Equal parts cool (see cigarette hanging from drummer's lips), fun (see Rick Nielsen's goofy stage antics) and holy (see Robin Zander's angelic voice and wardrobe). Cheap Trick remind me of my dad because it's his favorite band next to Relient K (no joke).


6. The Runaways / Wasted


A rare and rebellious performance featuring Joan Jett and Lita Ford. The Runaways remind me that I need to be in an all-girl band before I die!


5. OMD / Dancing


A perfect reason why OGWT was way cooler than TOTP... this song was allowed to air! OMD remind me that it's okay to try new things while I'm dancing.



4. The Smiths / This Charming Man


A mosh pit in a flower bed never looked more glorious... and neither did Morrissey's hair. The Smiths remind of a hi-fi on the second floor of a three-floor flat in Chicago, IL where I once resided for one year.


3. Talking Heads / Pyscho Killer


In another life these people spent every day having picnics in the park, in this life they wrote some of the most outrageously original songs ever! Talking Heads remind me that sometimes I have a crush on Tina Weymouth.


2. The Rezillos / (My Baby Does) Good Sculptures


I didn't purposefully put them #2 on both lists, it just worked out that way. Clearly this performance shows why. The Rezillos remind me of my younger sister and how fun music can be.



1. The Specials / Too Much Too Young


It doesn't get any cooler or truer than this! The Specials remind me of sex-can-wait shoelaces. TRY WEARING A TOP!

0 compromises: